Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Volunteer of the Year -- Going The Distance

Yesterday morning I attended the Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast held by Assistance for Independent Living, the organization I volunteer with. I just started there in August, and have really had only one client the whole time -- taking David to radiation treatments, doctor appointments, things like that, and visiting him when he has been hospitalized (3 times so far) -- and I didn't think it was such a big deal. However, I was surprised to learn that I was the first volunteer to stay with someone all the way through treatment, and more surprised when I won the Going the Distance: New Volunteer of the Year 2009 award! After all, I've only been doing this for 3 months and have gotten so much personal satisfaction from helping someone who has no transportation, no family, and few friends here...that tears at my heartstrings and makes me determined to do all that I can do for him....no award can compare....a picture was taken with Arizona Corporation Commissioner Sandra Kennedy (who cared for her grandfather), which I'll post when I get it....in meeting other volunteers, I discovered that we all share many attributes, not the least of which is humbleness....we are receiving far more than we are giving....I urge everyone who have even one hour a week to make a phone call to volunteer....you WILL make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment